It's not just lead water pipes. Lead paint in NYC walls causes lead
Lead contamination and the dire health issues it causes have been prominent
in the news, because of the publicized problems that Flint, Michigan has
had with high levels of lead in the pipes that transport its public drinking water.
While Flint Michigan’s problems are in the news, the fact is that
New York City itself, with its old buildings and failure to require the
uniform removal of lead paint from its buildings, has tremendous, on-going
problems with high levels of lead paint in low-income housing, and this
hurts our children.
High levels of lead cause numerous, permanent health problems in children,
whose young brains are most susceptible to its effects, including stunted
development, learning issues, attention deficit, and other cognitive and
behavioral impairments. And the cost of lead in our walls is astronomical,
in terms of life quality, education, earnings, and health care.
The New York Times
estimates that lead poisoning in America costs a staggering $53 billion in medical
care, $233 billion in lifetime earnings, $35 billion in tax revenue, and
$146 million in educational expenses. These expenses are due to the permanent
damage lead poisoning causes in children.
“America’s lead epidemic” is not only due to lead in water pipes, but also due to the failure
of landlords to correct or properly remove lead in walls in housing. Lead
paint had been used in housing into the 1960’s until it was finally banned.
But despite that ban, landlords did not correct at all or properly remove
the lead in walls, which can flake and peel, with its dust ending up in
food, on clothing, and on the hands of children, and lead poisoning is
caused by ingesting lead-based products, such as wall paint.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that the maximum
acceptable level for lead in a child’s blood is 5 micrograms per
deciliter. Lead poisoning testing is not normally done until a child reaches
age one, and lead poisoning is diagnosed only by blood tests. If you suspect
that your building has lead in it, insist that your child is tested for
lead when they go for their pediatric visits. The sooner a high level
of lead is treated, the better off your child will be.
We have represented many children injured as a result of lead poisoning.
If you have questions, please call us at (855) 295-4737.